Giraffe

Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer in a Jar

Along with our multitude of squash we also have buckets among buckets of apricots.....
we halved some to freeze for a later date....
Alan "tried" dehydrating apricots but ended up with good smelling & the potential to be yummy flavored potpourri...
And I tried my hand at making & canning preserves....

By the amount of Mason jars on my grandmother's table, I do believe this process was a success.  Now I must confess - I am not a big fan of fresh apricots. While they smell like heaven, to me their texture and taste are inferior to that of their cousins, peaches and nectarines. Cooked apricots are another matter though. Once they are heated, the fruit turns golden, fruity and luscious. 

We have enjoyed the warm goodness on waffles, cream cheese pound cake and even had apricot chicken one night.  DELICIOUS!!  I'm wanting to but have yet to make homemade apricot ice cream or maybe just top some vanilla with this deliciousness. The fruit and vegetables we have growing on the farm are definitely getting me in touch with my domestic side.

1 comment:

Mommy said...

You did a fantastic job with your first time at making preserves!! They taste wonderful! And the apricot chicken was absolutely delicious! I am so proud to see your "farm girl" coming out--your Granddaddy is soooo very proud of you!! ;-)