I won't bore you with the rest of my day...this was just the first 2 hours!! The rest consisted of more of the same and a bit of griping about the bed not being as comfortable as the hospital bed and that she needed a new and bigger T.V. and her being mad because we had to cut her carpet to make things safer for her. This is definitely Day 1 of a LONG ROAD!! So this afternoon I checked into putting her on the waiting list at Legacy Assisted Living in Slaton...and lucky for us the waiting list is less than 10 and they have beautiful facilities, a beauty shop, a soda shop opens daily and there they do have a personal chef. I thought about checking to see how old you have to be to live there??? Maybe now "Dairy Queen" isn't looking so appealing for my mom & dad, however, I must still keep it in my options otherwise I wouldn't have anything to threaten them with!! One look at Legacy and they would be begging me to let them go there now!!
Giraffe
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Sneak Peek!
Wednesday night Jennifer and I attended Holiday Happenings Sneak Peek! We had such a good time - adult girl time, shopping and dinner at Olive Garden....it couldn't get much better than that! Unfortunately the food at Sneak Peak wasn't as great as it was last year but we did have some delicious stuffed mushrooms!! The infamous wrapping paper, tulle & raffia people were there and I was sure to stock up. Can't wait to get everything all wrapped up in my bright colors! I did manage to buy one Christmas present and I found a game day necklace that I have been looking all over Lubbock for....who knew people were buying them from Littlefield!! It was really good to get out baby free and spend some time with an AMAZING friend! If you are in the area and have never been you should definitely attend Holiday Happenings...and if you have been....there are several of the same booths but many new ones....and LOTS of jewelry!!! I can't wait to go back tomorrow and take my mom....maybe this year we can pass up the beautiful blankets without buying one!
Starting last night through today I got a sneak peek of what my days have to hold. My grandmother was finally released from the hospital yesterday and you would think that most people would be excited about getting to go home and eat home cooked meals. Well not my grandmother...her first words were, "Well, I've been waiting for you all day, they said you would be here after lunch." This was around 5:00 and I had spent my afternoon at her house rearranging furniture, waiting on the guys to put together the hospital bed and waiting on my dad to get back from his dr's appointment so that he could watch Isabella while I went to go get my grandmother. Then she decided that she wanted to eat her dinner at the hospital because "she was paying for it!" This is the woman that has griped about the food ever since she has been in there. How they were always bringing her soup and sandwiches, never bring cornbread with the right meal and the gravy tastes like dish soap but damned if she didn't want to eat one more supper there instead of the dinner I would have cooked her when we got home. Does anyone else know someone that has "I'm paying for it so we must take it home with us" syndrome? UGH!! It was so irritating...we had to take every Kleenex box, bed pan, cup, Sweet 'N Low, salt, pepper, bed pads, you name it, we brought it home. She has no idea where she's going to store them or what she's going to do with them but dang it, she paid for it, and it's hers!! Last night she was pretty easy, I pretty much just got her to bed and came home!
Today-now that's a different story!
I headed over a little before 9 after Isabella woke up. When we went in she was still asleep so I took this time to get her medicine straight and separate it in the pill box. I then went to check the potty chair! This is NOT what I signed up for! As most of you know I have a VERY keen sense of smell and an extremely sensitive gag reflex. Come on now....if your family is taking care of you and you have to use a potty chair DO NOT #2 in it!!! I don't like taking care of my own kiddos poop so it is left without saying that I don't want to take care of my grandmother's poop! I then go and wake her up and she tells me that she's been laying there awake for awhile now. Really? I've been here 45 minutes and you've been snoring away but you have been laying here awake?? Hmmm...ok! I get her up and moving, take her in for breakfast, she wanted oatmeal and toast so that's what she got. She eats about half of the oatmeal and tells me it is old. Now most of the time I would take her word on this because you aren't safe if you don't check dates on food at her house. It is not uncommon to find things dated back to 1999 or sometimes before in her cabinets and refrigerators. The thing about this oatmeal is I know who bought it...ME! Therefore, I knew that it was fresh....sure enough, I checked the date and it doesn't expire until this time next year! So tomorrow I will try the unopened box that I will tell her is new (shhhh...don't tell) and see if it tastes better to her or maybe her tastes have just changed as I tried to explain to her earlier today. I then proceeded to talk to her trying to find out what she would like to eat and what she would like for me to cook. I really wasn't offering to be her personal chef but I think that is how she took it. I was very quick to let her know that she would be eating a few things that she didn't like and she would be trying new things and that we wouldn't all be eating what she wanted and I wasn't cooking two different meals at each mealtime. This was after the list of:
-lettuce gives me indigestion
-the hospital ruined me on green beans
-I don't like any seasoning except salt and pepper
-I don't want anything but meat and potatoes in my beef stew
-don't pour gravy on my meat
-I don't like Pizza or Mexican food -- Really?? You've eaten it all of your life, in fact I'm pretty sure about a month before she went into the hospital she asked me to take her to Pizza Hut
-and the list continued.
All that said, through the hatefulness, spitefulness, and just flat cantankerous and contrary person that she is, I love my grandmother dearly and we are thrilled that she was finally well enough to come home!!
Oh yeah and yet again I missed Weight Watchers Wednesday, hopefully next week I will make it up to you!! Maybe a full course of recipes!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment