Approximately 9:20 on January 20th, I walked to the kitchen to get a quick drink from the fridge and noticed a certain 38-inch-tall-little girl was hiding under the table. She was obviously making a deposit to the diaper bank and I asked her, “Are you pooping?”
To which she promptly replied, “No.”
I left to report the conversation to Mommy and Uncle Ricky, forgetting to get my drink. A few minutes later, I returned to the kitchen in search of that liquid refreshment. I opened the refrigerator and took my drink, but as I tried to close the door, Isabella, stopped it and took a long look into the fridge.
At that second a momentous decision was being made, and I had no clue.
I walked back into the living room and a few short minutes Isabella followed. The 38-inch-tall future attorney (or car buyer), shrewdly stood and surveyed the scene and deciding upon a victim approached me.
Shrewdly she asked, “Daddy, you change my diaper…”
“…but first get ice pop?”
The negotiations stalled then, Daddy, Mommy and Uncle Ricky not having a clear idea of what she asked. The question was repeated multiple times with different intonations. Uncle Ricky asked her to repeat it. And the Negotiator boldly repeated her terms. Finally, Daddy checked to see if she did in fact have the goods with which she was attempting to barter. Her check would most definitely have cleared.
And then, despite such inventive and affirmative stance from the Negotiator…the negotiations failed. Daddy changed a dirty diaper and no ice pop was exchanged for the goods.
Still, one has hope that the Negotiator will grow into her bold, innovative intellect and someday change the world.
1 comment:
Haha, I still talk about her smooth skills...i told a client today that was trying to negotiate with me that he could learn much from a certain 2-year-old I know...
Post a Comment